Monday 21 November 2016

Louder Than Life Festival 2016 | Intimate interview with Them Evils by Arica Waters

Them Evils with Contributor/Photographer/Music Journalist for Starlight Music Chronicles Arica Waters

by Arica Waters
photography by: Arica Waters

By the line-up alone, I knew that the Louder Than Life Concert was going to be a hit. Names such as Korn, Ghost, Disturbed and two back-to-back headliners such as Avenged Sevenfold and Slipknot was easily going to be the best festival of the year. Immediately upon arrival through the gates we were surrounded by metal heads, rock n roll fans and even small children. The atmosphere was phenomenal. 

I was lucky enough to interview Them Evils, a rock and roll band from Huntington Beach, California, on the first day. Here's what they had to say:

Arica Waters: Where are you guys from?

Jordan: We’re from Orange County, California which is where we started but we (Jake and I) are from Las Vegas. Nothing was working out for us out there.

Arica Waters: How did you all meet?

Jordan: Well Jake and I grew up together.
David: We met through a mutual friend who I went to high school with. I was in the middle of looking for a band and right when I was about to drop everything I got a call that these guys were looking for a drummer. They sent me some music and we did some covers like Alice and Chains.

Arica Waters: So you guys headlined the pre-party, how was that?

David: It was at the 4th street live venue which is like in the middle of the street so there was a lot of foot traffic.

Arica Waters: Who are you guys looking forward to see?

David: SLAYER!!
Jake: Slipknot
Arica Waters: Slipknot is sooo good and just insane.

Arica Waters: Since this is you guys’ first time at Louder Than Life what do you expect to see?

Jordan: I expect craziness from the crowd.
David: We play at 11:00 so we hope to set the mood for the day.
Jordan: We are gonna wake everyone up.
Arica Waters: Just run through the campsite and yell “We go on in ten minutes.”
David: Well he (Jake) has a wireless bass.

Arica - So you guys have a tour coming up yeah?

David: We are actually in the middle of tour right now.

Arica - What’s a tour tip you guys would give?

Jordan: Bring wipes
Jake: Wipes and a shower
Jordan: Be prepared to put up with each others shit.
Jake: You just gotta be comfortable with each other.
David: We are on the road for three months like these are my girlfriends.
Jake: I’ll get bitchy, he’ll get bitchy.
Jordan: When we get mad at each other we will get naked and cuddle each other.

Arica - So that’s how you solve you guy’s problems (laughs)?

Jake: They’ll tell me I’m an idiot and I’m like take your pants off.

Arica - Who is the craziest on tour?

Everyone: Laughing and looking at Jake.
Jordan: There’s this thing called Shadow Monster where he takes his clothes off and climbs on everything. He’ll rub his junk on everything and its horrible but it’s hilarious.
Jake: We were in a van last tour so it’s more awkward when you take off your clothes because in an RV I can just stand up naked. I just like to push the limits.

Arica - On a more serious note I know you guys dropped everything and made the decision to join the band can you tell me more about that?

Jake: We in a sense dropped everything to move but we didn’t drop everything because we still had our jobs but we couldn’t pass up the opportunities.

Arica - Now I want to talk about Rock n Roll. I am from Cleveland and there is a very big metal scene. We do have the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame but not too many bands. The bands that are a part of that genre have been around and established for years so why that genre?

Jordan: We play what we love to hear. We love rock n roll.
Jake: I’ve been in many different kind of bands rock bands, metal bands and hardcore bands and rock n roll was just something we loved to play and write.

Arica - How long have you guys been playing your instruments?

David: 12 years
Jordan: 11 years. As soon as I picked up a guitar I stopped skateboarding and became anti-social and would listen to AC/DC.

Arica - Thank you guys so much I can’t wait to see you perform tomorrow!

Them Evils was a blast to interview and they impressed me even more with their performance on Day 2 on the Zorn Stage at 11am.

  Pictured: David Delaney II
Pictured: Jordan Griffin
 Pictured: Jacob Massanari
Even though it was 11 o’clock in the morning Them Evils started off the day right: they had high energy which had their audience headbanging and engaged. Jake even came into the crowd with his wireless bass. This is a band that leaves a powerful impression and I look forward to seeing them in the future!


No comments:

Post a Comment